Anyway, having this fabric was quite liberating and I thought I would chop and sew and see what happened. It was also fun having the constraint of working with pieces of a fixed size - on average, they were about 8x12 inches.
I didn't measure anything, though halfway through the quilt it did occur to me that it would have been at least useful to work in multiples of a particular measurement in order to actually get blocks to fit together! I did some cutting down to fit and didn't worry about the results, moving things around and discarding things that didn't work like the acid yellow pieces.
I've never tried Pojagi but will have to give it a go as I am getting increasingly interested in the effect of quilts against the light. I discovered when making this quilt that nasty cheap polyester batting allows the light to shine through beautifully.
It's now awaiting some decisions on quilting - half of me wants to try out some really major perle stitching, but the other half doesn't want anything to get in the way of the shapes and the beautiful chambray colours of the fabric.
Bear with me because the following story is relevant. A while back when one of my children was very small and learning about the Egyptians she got very keen on the idea of embalming. This prompted her to suggest that she could embalm her goldfish. When we pointed out that she was fond of the goldfish and perhaps we shouldn't hurry it off its mortal coil she said hopefully that perhaps she could get another goldfish that she didn't like as much!
Anyway, faced with dithering about how to quilt the project above I thought perhaps I could make another, sacrificial, quilt and have a go on that to test the effect. So I made this one.
It's made using the neutrals from the same sample book. I used to do a lot of etching and relief printing and I wanted to get that kind of effect which is a bit hard to capture in a photo.