It is made using a bundle of Joel Dewberry's Aviary I won in a giveaway at Red Pepper Quilts, and I struggled to think how to use such large prints before settling on a window-pane design. I like the thought of looking out at the little birds.
I bound it in the same white as the body of the quilt (Klona cotton), but I added in scraps of the patterned fabric on each side.
It is backed with Ikea Nummer...
and you can just make out the little cross stitches hand-tying it together in the patterned blocks where I didn't want to machine quilt. I unpicked and redid my first attempt after Karen very kindly wrote to say how she did it here. These stitches took me a whole afternoon - there were 80 of them!
I also unpicked the lines of hand-quilting I tried in the wider white sashing when my daughter, who had been watching me work, said in a very kindly voice "well, it's not what I would have chosen to do, but it looks very nice"!
I hope the teenage girl who will receive this quilt through the charity Siblings Together likes it. Someone does. These fabrics have really grown on me and I'd rather like to keep it too!
You can see some of the great quilts people are making for Siblings Together in the Flickr Group.