I will do anything to avoid my paper piecing. Hence this cushion cover in the making.
I was following a tutorial for cutting sawtooth stars economically, but I couldn't get my head round the mental rotations involved - I must be short on spatial skills - without assiduously following the instructions on screen every step of the way. In the end I just winged it. (It is a really excellent clear tutorial. It was just me.) This is why my seams are a bit wonky and why it took all weekend.
I made it out of a pair of jeans that I'd worn through (thighs rubbing together after too much Christmas pudding but maybe that's TMI). I tried to use the least faded parts for the star and the rest round the edges and to exploit the grain of the fabric as far as possible. Now I'm trying to decide whether to embroider round the star to highlight it, or to leave it minimalistic - and just waiting to burst through the second pair of jeans so that I can justify chopping them up for the back:-)